Chromebooks are lightweight, versatile laptops that run on the Chrome operating system. They are a popular choice for people who need a simple and efficient device for browsing the web, creating documents, and streaming videos. If you’re a Chromebook user and want to know how to take a screenshot, you’re in luck! In this article, we’ll discuss the various methods of taking screenshots on a Chromebook.
Method 1: Keyboard Shortcuts
Chromebooks have built-in keyboard shortcuts that allow you to take screenshots quickly and easily. Here’s how to do it:
- To take a screenshot of your entire screen, press the Ctrl + Show windows keys at the same time. The Show windows key is usually located in the top row of the keyboard and looks like a rectangle with two lines on the right.
- To take a screenshot of a specific area of the screen, press Ctrl + Shift + Show windows. The cursor will turn into a crosshair. Click and drag the cursor to select the area you want to capture. Once you release the mouse button, the screenshot will be saved to your Downloads folder.
Method 2: Using the Power and Volume Keys
If your Chromebook has a built-in touchscreen, you can take a screenshot by using the Power and Volume keys. Here’s how to do it:
- Press and hold the Power button and the Volume down button at the same time.
- You’ll see a notification that says “Screenshot saved to Gallery.” You can access the screenshot from the Gallery app in your app launcher.
Method 3: Using a Chrome Extension
If you prefer to use a third-party tool to take screenshots, you can install a Chrome extension such as Lightshot or Nimbus Screenshot. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Chrome Web Store and search for a screenshot extension.
- Choose an extension that suits your needs and click “Add to Chrome” to install it.
- Once installed, the extension will appear as an icon in your Chrome toolbar.
- Click on the icon to activate the screenshot tool and follow the instructions to capture your screen.
Pros and Cons:
The keyboard shortcuts are the quickest and most straightforward way to take a screenshot on a Chromebook. They are built into the system and don’t require any additional software. However, they are limited to capturing the entire screen or a specific area.
Using the Power and Volume keys is a useful option for Chromebooks with touchscreens. However, it may not work on all models.
Using a Chrome extension provides more options for capturing and editing screenshots. However, it requires you to download and install additional software, which can take up storage space and potentially slow down your device.
In conclusion, taking a screenshot on a Chromebook is a straightforward process that can be done using built-in keyboard shortcuts or by installing a third-party extension. Consider the pros and cons of each method to choose the best option for your needs.